Monday, December 18, 2006


I would have taken the 20hour flight for that one moment. Their faces lit up in disbelief – some unable to contain it – running about and jumping in excitement as I unpacked and erected the toy aircraft. Wisely selected by my brother Stephen, this $2 gift showed me exactly what I have discovered from day 1; ‘My Boys’ that wait for me at the AJAN gate each afternoon are loving, kind and giving to a degree that I could only hope. Each getting a throw they ensured that no-one was left out. After a couple of minutes I sauntered over to take a picture, they thinking their fun was done – gratefully gave the plane and its packaging back. I stood trying to express “No it is yours to keep” at which point they started jumping and grinning once again.
Life is so much simpler here – not complicated by good’s and shackles. As my brother once said in passing “More things just means more stuff to look after” He is one person that lives it.
We crowd our lives with material possessions, cars, boats, and clothes, seeking the happiness they bring, but after a day, a week, or a month, it fades and something bigger needs to replace it. Happiness as the children of Kangemi, Korogocho, and Kibera most fluently display is inside, the plane today just allowed it to jump out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home